Those who are not conversant in works of art are often surprised at the high value set by connoisseurs on drawings which appear careless, and in every respect unfinished; but they are truly valuable... they give the idea of a whole.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds
We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Carter Goodrich

Posted by Charley Parker at 11:48 pm

Carter Goodrich
Illustrator, author and character designer Carter Goodrich has a drawing a rendering style that is so springy, energetic and full of lively linework and color, that it’s just a complete joy to look through his portfolio.

Even though his website has fairly extensive galleries of his book illustrations, New Yorker covers, editorial illustrations and character design for films like Despicable Me, Ratatouille, Shreck and Finding Nemo, I came away wanting more.

Goodrich’s film work has garnered him multiple AISFA Annie award nominations, and the award itself for his designs for Ratatouille.

His books as author and illustrator include A Creature was Stirring, The Hermit Crab and Say Hello to Zorro.

[Suggestion courtesy of Chris Sheban (see my post on Chris Sheban)]

7 comments for Carter Goodrich »

RSS feed for comments on this post.

1. Comment by cris ronk
    Friday, May 27, 2011 @ 12:32 am

Charming work. It reminds me of the golden age of Illustrating but with a slightly modern twist. The Shrek one reminds me of something you’d find in an old Playboy magazine.

2. Comment by Patrick Alan Swigart
    Friday, May 27, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

I love this website. And this is a perfect example of why (Carter Goodrich among many others). The information and exposure to art and artists in words and pictures through Charley Parker’s daily efforts has become for me a terrific and necessary daily fix. As a retired teacher, I can tell you Charley is a true teacher. Keep up the great work, my friend.
    Pat

3. Comment by Mark Stroud
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

When Peter De Seve tweeted that Cater Goodrich had finally put up a website, my jaw dropped open. His work is awesome and now I’m inspired. I agree I only want to see more.

4. Comment by David Apatoff
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 @ 10:15 pm

Charley, do you know anything about his medium? Do I see pastels or colored pencils here? Are these digitally enhanced?

Thanks for another great post!

5. Comment by Lorette
    Monday, May 30, 2011 @ 10:02 am

Above all, I thank him for Ratatouille!

6. Comment by Charley Parker
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about his medium, but I’d guess that a combination of watercolor and dry media is on the right track.

7. Comment by Robert Vitarelli
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 @ 6:10 am

Carter was that good even in the 2nd grade!