Those who are not conversant in works of art are often surprised at the high value set by connoisseurs on drawings which appear careless, and in every respect unfinished; but they are truly valuable... they give the idea of a whole.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds
We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Craig Mullins (Goodbrush), new website

Posted by Charley Parker at 12:48 pm

Craig Mullins, goodbrush
For reasons that are lost on me, concept and visual development artists for the film and gaming industries often go by “handles” (nicknames) when publishing their work online.

“Goodbrush”, AKA Craig Mulllins, is by either name one of the most recognized and respected artists in the field. He is also one of the first to move into digital painting, and remains at the forefront of the medium.

Since I last wrote about him, Mullins has launched a redesigned website that showcases the broad range of his subject matter and approach.

The “Quick Tour” section will give you an overview, highlighting selections from the other categories, and the other sections go into some depth, with numerous selections of his concept art, matte paintings, promotional work and various kinds of painted sketches and drawings.

In addition there are sections of his work in traditional painting media, oil and watercolor.

One of the things that always impresses me about Mullins’ work is his ability to leave out the inessential and suggest more than is there. Even in pieces that look very realistic, the actual rendering and detail are minimal; Mullins uses his superb control of color and just enough detail and textural elements to allow your eye to fill in the rest.

I also always enjoy his wonderfully playful explorations of light and shadow, contrast and highlights, with which he enlivens and energizes his images and commands the path of your eye through the composition.

Those of you who admire the work of great illustrators like Howard Pyle and N.C. Wyeth will easily find their influence in Mullins’ historical pieces.

Speaking of influences, don’t miss the downloadable PDF of John Singer Sargent’s notes on painting that Mullins has been kind enough to make available from this page.

For more, see my previous post on Craig Mullins (and here); I’ve listed additional resources below.

[Update suggestion courtesy of Will Kelly]

9 comments for Craig Mullins (Goodbrush), new website »

RSS feed for comments on this post.

1. Comment by Will
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

Hi Charley,
    Thanks so much for featuring one of my favorite artists… I rejoiced when I noticed all the new work on his site. His color and light explorations are simply amazing. Such an inspiration for any artist working in any medium.

-Will

2. Comment by luca
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

OMG, I’ve always been in love with this guy. The painting of the lady featured here deserves to be in a museum!

3. Comment by Valeriy Zrazhevskiy
    Monday, October 31, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

Thanks very much for post! This is my favorite artist. He is one of the best painters, in my opinion.

4. Comment by Adebanji
    Monday, October 31, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

Yes, I am always inspired by him! Amazing! Just amazing!

5. Comment by Jeremy D
    Monday, October 31, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

Is there a Craig Mullins book? I would love one, as I’m sure most people would.

I remember gawking at one of his painterly-paintings nearly a decade ago (can’t believe it’s been that long) and being amazed that it was digital.

6. Comment by David Apatoff
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

Thanks for the excellent update, Charley. I especially like the connection you draw between Mullins’ brilliant digital art and the work of giants of the past, such as Pyle and Wyeth. There’s a lot of continuity there.

7. Comment by Charley Parker
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 @ 12:34 am

Thanks, David. Terrific Pyle show opening soon at Delaware Art Museum: http://delart.org/exhibitions/howard_pyle.html Can’t wait!

8. Comment by pop art
    Friday, November 4, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

Goodbrush is an amazing digital artist. I would love to commision some work by him.

9. Comment by Spark
    Friday, December 9, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

To my mind…he’s the best bar none. Since Frazetta…I’ve see NO ONE more powerful. It appears there is nothing he cannot handle. He simply has no peer…that I’ve seen..and I’ve looked!